2020 API Storage Tank Conference & Expo
When: October 12, 2020 - October 15, 2020
Where: Grand Hyatt Nashville, Nashville, Tennessee and Virtually
A Message from the 2020 Planning Committee - 2020 API Storage Tank Conference - Attendee Letter.
2020 Conference Program - Available Soon
The API Storage Tank Conference has been an annual event since 1995. It is considered the premier, high-level meeting of storage tank professionals, and has a loyal and dedicated attendee base.
The October 12-15, 2020 API Storage Tank Conference will be presented as both an in-person event, as well as an equally engaging virtual event.
This conference is volunteer driven, both at the planning committee and speaker level. We consistently produce a compelling conference program, with a focus on safety, best practices, and innovation. In addition, the conference provides an opportunity for attendees to earn PDH (Professional Development Hours), maintaining their certifications and required hours. The conference also provides the opportunity for networking and idea exchange, with our dedicated sponsors and exhibitors sharing their latest products and services.
Co-Located with the API Safe Tank Entry Workshop
Schedule at a Glance
|October 12||October 13||October 14-15|
|API/NFPA Safe Tank Entry Workshop
||API Storage Tank Conference
|STI/API Tank Fundamentals Seminar
|US EPA SPCC Course
|USA EPA FRP Course
Who Should Attend
- Tank, and Valves and Piping Professionals
- Tank owners, managers, or operators
- Experienced storage tank professionals
- Senior tank designer or construction specialist
- Representatives of oil and petrochemical refineries, utilities, pipelines, tank cleaning firms, and others interested in confined spaces and safe tank entry
- Refinery and terminal owners, managers, or operators
- Senior design or construction specialists
Conference Program — Available Soon
Virtual Conference Program — Available Soon
14 PDH (Professional Development Hours) will be provided for Conference attendance.
The work of the problem-solvers of our industry is never done.
2020 at the Grand Hyatt Nashville will be a different API Storage Tank Conference compared to past years, but one that’s right for you and all you work for. What will be the same is API bringing together the highest-level attendees in the industry.
We are doubling down on innovation, introducing the API Virtual Events Platform, allowing us to provide an engaging online experience for those who are unable to join us in Nashville. This experience will incorporate the latest technology and API’s deep experience in engaging communities online.
Online we’ll have a mix of live and pre-recorded content, Q&As, live polling, Zoom breakouts, 1:1 meeting scheduling, and additional features and content the vibrant technology allows. Additionally, virtual attendees have the flexibility to view featured content before the conference, and then come to live sessions with prepared questions.
We anticipate 25% of our attendees will be virtual, coming from those unable to travel, but also a new global audience. In the unforeseen situation where we have to cancel the in-person event, we will refund the registration price difference of $100, your registration automatically rolling into the virtual event.
Either way, you can participate with confidence, knowing that you will be part of the loyal, dedicated high-level audience this API conference is known for.
Join us this October. Because when people get together, things get done.
2019 Conference Presentations Included:
- A Better Mousetrap? A Potential New Application and Innovation to Prevent Overfills
- Fitness for Service Assessment of AST Post-Fire Incident
- Tank Design with Fire in Mind
- Storage Tank Financial Responsibility: How do I Comply?
- Revising the Design of API 650 Wind Loading Provisions
- Stainless Steel Tank Bottoms Providing Both Cost and Corrosion Control
- SSPC-SP1 Disconnect Between Standard and Results
- How API 652 Guidance has Continuing Relevance in a Changing Market
- Trending Toward Thicker Linings – Is it a Good Trend?
- Culture and Process Safety
- Tank Bottoms Resuspension Model
- Can Innovation be a Catalyst for Success in a Prescriptive Regulatory Environment?
- How Far Do We Have to Go to Determine What Regulations and Standards Apply to my Above ground Tanks?
- A Dynamic Look at Design of Upstream Storage Tanks
- Corrosion & Pitting Phenomenon Observed in Newly Built Storage Tanks
- API Tank Standards Update
- Hiring, Training, and Retaining Millennials
- The Importance of Developing a Plan for Inspection of All Your Storage Tanks
- Elements of a Successful Tank Turnaround Management Program
- Update on Content and Completion of New NACE Standard for External Corrosion Control of AST Bottoms
- Finite Element Analysis Success and Pitfalls in Tank Applications
API Safe Tank Entry Workshop: October 12-13, 2020
Workshop Program - Available SoonAttendees learn the basics of ensuring safe tank entry and maintenance.
- Tank decommissioning, isolation, degassing, safe tank entry, cleaning, return to service, and associated work
- An understanding of atmospheric monitoring, with instruction in the operation, calibration, and maintenance of field instruments that sample and analyze levels of oxygen, gases, and vapors.
- Attendees have the chance to calibrate and use the instruments
NFPA will award 0.7 Continuing Education Units for each day of instruction.
US EPA Courses: October 13, 2020
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) will host two half day presentations on October 13:
Preliminary Program - FRP Course - Available Soon
Preliminary Program - SPCC Course - Available Soon
- 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM: USEPA Facility Response Plan (FRP) Course
- 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM: USEPA SPCC Course
Mark Howard, US EPA OEM will discuss the inspector guidance for the Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) regulations (40 CFR part 112). Troy Swackhammer, US EPA OEM will discuss plan requirements for facilities covered by EPA's Facility Response Plan (FRP) regulation (40 CFR part 112). The USEPA will provide an overview of the SPCC guidance and FRP regulations along with examples and explanations helpful in understanding and applying the regulations and amendments. USEPA encourages interested parties to attend, including regulated facilities, SPCC/FRP consultants/planners, and any other persons involved with SPCC and/or FRP complicance. Conference registration required to attend.
API/STI-SPFA Field Erected Storage Tank Fundamentals Course: October 13, 2020
The course is designed for operators, inspectors, and engineers who wish to increase their knowledge of field-erected tanks. Topics include considerations for locating and constructing tanks, corrosion protection and inspection of coatings, use of the API 650 Data Sheet and preparing an RFQ, and tank repairs and modifications.
7 PDH (Professional Development Hours) will be provided for course attendance.
Course topics include:
- Consideration for Locating Tanks
- Fundamentals of the Construction of Tanks
- Corrosion Protection
- API 650 Tank Data Sheet Details
- Tank Construction
- Coating Application and Inspections
- Requests for Proposals
- Tank Repairs and Modifications Overview
2020 Sponsor and Exhibitor Application - Available June 1, 2020
Exhibitor Floorplan - Available Soon
The 2020 Conference and Exhibition will follow the October 12th-13th API-NFPA Safe Tank Entry Workshop, and the October 13th STI-API Tank Fundamentals Seminar.
Note that all sponsorships include an exhibit booth. Prime booth locations are reserved for sponsors and noted on the conference website.
If you are a returning or new sponsor, you can purchase your sponsorship online immediately.
If you are a returning exhibitor, you purchase your exhibit booth online July 1, 2020.
If you are a new exhibitor, you can purchase your exhibit booth online July 15, 2020.
Because all sponsorships include an exhibit booth, the number of exhibitor only booths available is dependent on the number of sponsors.
As you are aware, the API is not a “trade show company”, and this conference prides itself in being “conference first”, with a program targeted to high-level tank professionals. As result, each year we limit the total number of booths to 40 exhibitiors. We find that this ratio of exhibitors to attendees is the “sweet spot” for both audiences.
Exhibit only booths are available until May 27, 2020 at a 50% discount for third-party certified minority and women owned businesses that are certified by either the National Minority Supplier Diversity Council (NMSDC) or Women’s Business Enterprise National council (WBENC). Please contact me directly for additional information.
*Purchase Available Soon
Deadline for registering your additional staff: 5:00 PM EST, September 30, 2020. After this date additional exhibitors must register onsite. Please identify your exhibit staff early!
Note: Use this link to register only after your companies Sponsor/Exhibitor application has been accepted. The registration fee is $395. To be eligible for this rate, the additional Sponsor/Exhibitor must be a direct employee of exhibiting or sponsoring company. This fee includes full conference registration, including admission to all conference sessions October 14-15, 2020, exhibit area, and receptions. Note this does not include admission Safe Tank Entry Workshop, Tank Fundamentals, or EPA courses offered October 12-13, 2020. To attend those courses you must pay the full admission fee for those courses. Registration badges are not interchangeable; swapping or sharing of badges is not allowed.
Exhibitor Schedule at a Glance
|Tuesday, October 13, 2020|
|3:00 pm - 6:00 pm||Exhibitor Set-Up|
|Wednesday, October 14, 2020|
|7:00 am - 5:00 pm||Registration Services Open|
|6:30 am - 7:30 am||Exhibitor Set-Up (if not set October 23)|
|7:30 am - 6:00 pm||Expo Open, including Welcome Reception 5:00 - 6:00 pm|
|Thursday, October 15, 2020|
|7:00 am - 5:00 pm||Registration Services Open|
|7:30 am - 3:35 pm||Expo Open|
|3:35 pm - 4:30 pm||Move-Out
All Exhibitors are welcome to attend the Closing Reception
|5:00 pm - 6:00 pm||Closing Reception
Exhibit Booth Information
Exhibitors are responsible for providing their own AV. Electricity will be provided to all exhibitors, as well as free WiFi.
Each exhibitor will be provided a draped 10’ wide x 8' deep exhibit booth (80 square feet). Each booth includes two chairs, garbage can, and a 6' x 30" draped table that can be removed. A company sign will be provided above your booth. One 120 volt electrical outlet will be provided at no charge, as well as complimentary WiFi. Note: Set up outside of the set up times listed above is strictly forbidden. No exhibitor badges or materials will be distributed outside of these times.
Exhibitors wishing to order additional AV services (i.e. renting a monitor) may contact the hotel directly and ask to speak with the in-house AV department.
API has arranged complimentary receiving, storage and delivery to the onsite API office for exhibitor materials. Note: Materials may arrive as early as Tuesday, October 8th, but not before. Exhibitors are kindly asked to consolidate their materials into as few boxes/items as possible. During exhibit set-up hours you may retrieve your materials from the API office. Exhibitors are responsible for their own outbound shipping. Please pack your own return shipping labels.
Please address all boxes/packages as follows:
API Storage Tank Conference
Attn: Name/Company/Booth #
Grand Hyatt Nashville
Nashville, TN 37203
Attn: Booth #
Neither API or Freeman is responsible for outbound shipping. The hotel does not have a business/shipping center. Please pack your own shipping labels. The hotel will take all labeled items over to the loading dock at no charge. Exhibitors are also responsible for calling their carriers and arranging pickup.
Cvent, the provider of our conference app and registration system, is making available hand-held lead retrieval devices for rent to exhibitors. Information captured includes name, title, address, email, and phone number.
The API Storage Tank Conference “Event Code” for LeadCapture is: Available Soon
Additional information, and the link to purchase, is available soon.
For additional support, please contact Leadcapture@cvent.com or 703-226-3535.
- Attendees and Sponsoring/Exhibiting companies are prohibited from conducting ancillary activities or events during the conference hours, including receptions.
- All booth activities must take place within the confines of the assigned booth space.
- Booth activities deemed too disruptive may be discontinued at Show Management's discretion.
- All promotional activities and distribution of literature must take place within the confines of the assigned booth. Distribution outside of the confines of the booth, including all API and Sheraton Hotel public areas is strictly prohibited.
- If a booth noise level is particularly disturbing or disruptive, Show Management will direct that the noise be turned down.
- All speakers must face inward and not out towards the aisles or neighboring Exhibits. Exhibitors found in non-compliance, will be required to modify the direction of the speakers to a more suitable position.
- No element can impede the aisles; All demonstrations must take place within the confines of the assigned booth space.
- A maximum height of eight feet is allowed only in the rear half of the booth space, with a four foot height restriction on all materials (product or equipment) in the front half of the booth.
- All booths should be designed in such a way so as to eliminate line of sight obstructions from one exhibit to the next.
- Delivery or removal of any portion of an exhibit will not be permitted during exhibit hours
Exhibit Floorplan - Available Soon
|Conference Bag with Logo + Booth||Available|
|Conference Lanyard with Logo + Booth||Available
|Conference T-Shirt + Booth||Available
|Conference WIFI + Booth||Available
|Tank Safe Entry Workshop: Oct. 12 - Luncheon + Booth||Available
|Tank Safe Entry Workshop + Courses: Oct. 13 - Luncheon + Booth||Available|
|Storage Tank Conference: Oct. 14 - Luncheon + Booth||Available
|Storage Tank Conference: Oct. 14 - Networking Reception + Booth||Available
|Storage Tank Conference: Oct. 15 - Luncheon + Booth||Available
|Storage Tank Conference: Oct. 15 - Networking Reception + Booth||Available
Grand Hyatt Nashville
Nashville, TN 73203
Room Rate: $259 Single/Double, $25 additional person
Reservation Deadline: Friday, September 18, 2020 at 5:00 PM Central.
Avoid Housing Scams
Note: API has not contracted with any third party for hotel arrangements and will not call or email you directly to make housing arrangements on your behalf.
Should you receive a call or email from a third-party provider, please collect as much information as you can and let us know immediately. “Room Poachers” have been known to act as representatives of API, or authorized providers of API, to offer room discounts or alternative accommodations to our attendees – often to the attendee’s detriment. These companies are not affiliated with API, and reservations made through these companies for our meeting cannot be guaranteed.
How It Works
This deceptive practice (called “room poaching”) is carried out by third‐party companies that act as travel agencies, wholesalers, or even API to solicit registrants for room reservations. The poacher might inform registrants that the hotel room block is “sold out,” and that if you do not book with them immediately, you may not get a room. Room poachers make it more difficult for us to meet our room block commitments, and expose us to penalties and increased room rates for our events. Room poachers often don’t deliver on promises to customers. When customers arrive, reservations are non‐existent or the hotels are not conveniently located. Sometimes the rooms have been cancelled and hefty cancellation fees have been placed on the customer’s credit card.
Don’t Be Deceived
If you are contacted by anyone asking if you need a room for the API Conference, please get as much information as you can (their name, company name, phone number, etc.) and pass it along to firstname.lastname@example.org. Always make your room reservation directly with the information provided by API or a trusted source.
API will use all legal means possible to prevent these groups from operating.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.